PNNMP provides grants to residents and organizations in the Northern Neck (King George, Westmoreland, Richmond, Northumberland, and Lancaster counties) and in Essex and Middlesex counties for the preservation of historic structures and resource preservation including, but not limited to, documents, maps, prints, and paintings that preserve the heritage of the area.
The total funding availability varies from year to year, but in the past grants have generally ranged from $200 to $1000. Grant applications for the next cycle can be submitted from now until February 4, 2022. Grants are awarded in the spring at the annual meeting. The grant recipient must be present (in person or virtually, depending on conditions) to receive the grant at that time. If you have questions, please contact us!
We’re always very interested in grant applications!
To apply, please fill out the application below and submit to the PNNMP Grant Committee at Post Office Box 691, Warsaw, VA 22572.
In 2021, PNNMP made grants as follows:
To St. John’s Episcopal Church, Lunenburg Parish, for the restoration of eight pairs of church shutters. The tall, wooden, three-paneled shutters appear to date to the building of the church in 1835. Ravaged by time and weather, these elegant shutters will be restored one pair at a time, so they may continue to grace the church.
To Stratford Hall, for the conservation of a circa 1790 light green silk waistcoat. The waistcoat, trimmed in blue and yellow with working pockets and a deep stand-up collar, was owned by Thomas Lee Shippen (1765-1798). He was a grandson of Thomas Lee (1690-1750), the original owner of Stratford Hall. The waistcoat will be on display in the Great House (occasionally) and in Visitor Center exhibits once conservation is complete.
To Michele L. Brumfield, Historic Preservationist, for research and archival storage supplies for artifacts recovered from the Saddlery attic. The Saddlery, owned by the Town of Warsaw, was constructed in 1832-33. The building was used over the years for everything from a storehouse, to living quarters in the mid-19th century, and later as a medical office, post office, millinery shop and finally, as a law office. The recovered artifacts reflect several of the businesses that occupied the building in the late-19th to early-20th century. Once the research is complete, select artifacts will be on display for a limited time.
In addition to grants, PNNMP undertakes direct projects related to historic preservation. In 2019, we contributed to the restoration of an important historic Glebe House in Essex County. In 2015, we launched a project to help stabilize and preserve Rochester House, an original 1746 building in Westmoreland County near Lyells that is listed on both the Virginia and the National Historic Registers. Another very significant past project was the publication of the book Historic Sites In Virginia’s Northern Neck & Essex County. PNNMP also excavated the burial vault of Samuel, Martha and Jeremiah Rust, who died between 1718 and 1731. The vault’s history was researched and the vault itself was carefully documented, and then it was re-dedicated in a historical ceremony with some eighty-five persons in attendance and buried again in order to preserve it.